The key to a smooth move is organization. Based on our years of experience, we have compiled this list of moving tips.
One month before you move:
- Fill out a USPS and an IRS change of address form.
- Book a moving company or reserve a rental truck.
- Make relevant airline, bus or car-rental travel arrangements and book hotels.
- Obtain medical and dental records, x-rays and prescription histories. Ask your doctor and dentist for referrals and prescription transfers.
- Open accounts at your new bank and deposit enough money for ready access without having to wait for out-of-state checks to clear. Don’t close out your old accounts until all outstanding checks have cleared.
- Take inventory of your belongings before they're packed.
- Collect everything you have loaned out and return things you have borrowed.
1-2 weeks before you move:
- Inform electric, disposal, water, newspaper, magazine, telephone and cable companies of your new address.
- Arrange for help on moving day.
- Confirm travel reservations.
- Collect valuables from safe-deposit box. Make copies of important documents.
- Check with your insurance agent to ensure you'll be covered through your homeowner's or renter's policy during the move.
- Defrost freezer and refrigerator. Place deodorizer inside.
- Give a close friend or relative your travel route and itinerary so you may be reached if needed.
- Make sure you have plenty of rope, tape and boxes on-hand for packing and tying down.
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves, attic and garage to be sure they are empty.
- Keep a telephone plugged in until you leave.
- Carry important documents, currency and jewelry yourself, or use registered mail.
- Carry traveler’s checks for quick, available funds.
Need more helpful tips?
Call one of our helpful self storage experts at 1-800-487-2135. Proguard Self Storage offers storage, service and solutions guaranteed to meet your expectations.