The smartest move into a storage unit starts with a simple plan and a few tips from the Pros! Here are some of the basics:
- When packing your storage unit, create a center aisle for access to all items and put frequently used items near the front.
- Do not store combustibles such as fuel, paint and thinners. Do not store perishables or hazardous waste.
- Climate-controlled storage units are ideal for heat-and-moisture sensitive items such as videotapes, photographs and precious wood furniture.
- Label boxes on all sides with the room they are from and their contents. Keep list for easy reference.
- Stack heavy boxes on bottom and lighter ones on top to prevent them from being crushed.
- Securely latch and lock your storage room door before leaving!!!
- Remove legs and wrap with furniture pads to protect from soil and scratches.
- Disassemble bed frames and tie them together to save space.
- Wrap and label all pieces for easy reassembly.
- Put all hardware in marked bags.
- Place pads, blankets, or towels between stacked furniture to prevent scratching.
- Avoid plastic covers in non-climate storage as moisture can condense under plastic.
- Wrap mattresses in mattress bags or cover them with paper or cloth.
- Stand mattresses and sofas on end with cardboard or pallets underneath to avoid moisture.
Pictures and Mirrors:
- Wrap small pictures in foam or bubble wrap and stand them on end in boxes. Store larger pictures in picture boxes.
- Keep photographs from curling by placing them between two pieces of cardboard and taping them together.
- Do not store irreplaceable photos.
Crystal, China, Glassware:
- Wrap each item individually and store in specially-designed boxes with dividers. Put a layer of padding on top and bottom.
- Stand bowls, cups and plates on end. Fill all pockets with padding.
- Label boxes as “glass” and stack these on top.
Clothing, Curtains, Drapes:
- Store clothing, curtains and drapes in wardrobe boxes on non-rusting hangers.
- Use drawers to store delicate items.
- Store wool with cedar chips or mothballs to prevent moth damage.
- Pack several small appliances or several pots and pans in one box with packing material between them.
- Label the box with “Kitchen” and all the items it contains.
- Clean and dry appliances and keep refrigerator doors slightly ajar.
- Use the space inside appliances to such things as blankets and towels.
- Pack books flat to prevent damage to the spines.
- Place in small boxes so they don’t weight too much to lift.
- Tools and bikes should be wiped with machine oil to avoid rust.
- Keep these away from other items.
- Drain gasoline and oil from lawn mowers and other items with small engines.
Need more helpful tips?
Call one of our helpful self storage experts at 1-800-487-2135. Proguard Self Storage offers storage, service and solutions guaranteed to meet your expectations.