Welcome back to the Proguard Storage blog! For most people, Labor Day marks the ending of summer, the beginning of a new school year, and an opportunity to get some barbecuing in with family and friends.
Did you know the true meaning of Labor Day, though? The idea of a Labor Day came about when workers felt they were spending too many hours and days on the job, putting in 70-hour work-weeks on average. Union organizers sought to shorten these long working hours to create the eight-hour workday and reduce the workweek to six and then eventually, five days a week. Labor Day came about in an effort to decrease the number of working days further and give workers a much-needed break one day a year! What may come as a surprise is that many politicians and business owners are actually in favor of giving workers more time off. This is because workers who have no free time aren’t able to spend their wages on traveling, entertainment or dining out!
Now that we got some history in, let’s talk about what’s going on in Houston this Labor Day weekend! If you’re looking for something outside of the usual pool party or outdoor barbecue, continue reading!
Events on Labor Day Weekend:
- In the mood for a traditional Labor Day barbecue but still feeling something a little bit different this year? The George Ranch Historical Park will be hosting two old-fashioned 1930s Labor Day Backyard Barbecues featuring traditional games and music on September 1st and September 3rd. Visitors will be able to listen to period music on a vintage radio, play games from the past, and help make ice cream the old-fashioned way! Learn more.
- Let’s get our mindfulness meditation on. Not interested in partying this weekend? No worries. We’ve got your back. Check out this FREE guided meditation at Mindful Being Houston! Feel free to bring a yoga mat but cushions and chairs will be provided.
- If you’re interested in doing something meaningful this Labor Day, we’ve got just the event for you. Join the Labor Day All White Celebrity Charity Fundraiser Fashion Show. The show aims to raise awareness to services, programs, and resources to support people facing serious life and emotional challenges and supporting families who have lost loved ones to suicide. 10% of the proceeds from the event are donated to the benefiting charity.
- Have you attended Houston Restaurant Week, yet? The most anticipated food event of the year, Houston Restaurant Week, is running all the way up to Labor Day so this is your last chance if you haven’t yet gone! Raising money for The Houston Food Bank, more than 250 area restaurants are expected to participate by serving specially priced multi-course prix fixe menus that include brunch, lunch and dinner. Learn more here.
- All you can eat mini tacos. Need we say more? Probably not but here’s some more info anyway – 1 ticket to the Annual TX Taco Throw Down on September 2nd gets you all you can eat mini tacos, a taste from every TX Brewery & Cocktail tent and great live music from 3pm-8pm!
Know of any other Houston Labor Day events we absolutely must attend? Comment below!
Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!
-The Proguard Team